- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 4 chopped medium-sized garlic cloves
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
- Salt and pepper, per your preference
Process the basil, garlic, and walnuts in a food processor fitted with a steel blade or in 2 batches in a blender, until finely chopped. With the machine running, slowly pour in the oil in a steady stream. Add the cheeses, a big pinch of salt, and a liberal grinding of pepper. Process briefly to combine. Remove to a bowl and cover. Add to some toast, pasta, or other dishes.
This basil pesto also freezes well. You could use a small mason jar or other container to save for later.